ads

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cooking at Home. Spring Rolls

Welcome to my new series on food "Cooking At Home With J.T." . I am a lucky women, my husband has the passion for cooking and most importantly he is willing to share the whole process. He is an artist who cooks from the heart and I have never seen him reading books on how to cook. He creates his dishes by feel and every time he serves a meal we all clean our plates in a few seconds. Remember I am trying to keep up with him while he creates and none of the recipes are written down, we rarely eat the same meal twice as he is always making something new.
How to make Spring Rolls

Ingredients

4 cups of lightly cooked bisamati rice

½ head small cabbage

6 larger green onions

6 larger pieces of garlic

2 sheets of seaweed roasted

One, about 3 inch long, piece of ginger root (skin peeled)

2 medium carrots

Crab meat of your choice or budget

1 teaspoon of white pepper

3 table spoons of soy sauce

1 tablespoon of fish sauce (I used three crabs brand)

1 package of frozen spring roll dough of your choice

1 egg white whipped

I cut the cabbage thinly; then chopped the garlic and ginger, I then sliced the green onions and crushed the 2 sheets of seaweed, and I grated the carrots finely. I put it all into a large bowl and mixed it with the white pepper and the fish sauce. I put about 4 table spoons of vegetable oil in the wok on med high heat, and then I added the cooked rice and soy sauce while continually stirring. I then added the bowl of mixed ingredients once the rice became even in color. I stir fried while stirring just until the cabbage starts to become soft.


I lay each sheet of dough and add 1 heaping teaspoon of the cooled mix on to the first third of the dough. Then I fold the sides over the mix and start my roll. I finished the roll by brushing egg white on before the end to act as glue. This makes 25 to 35 egg rolls. You can freeze them just be sure to use wax paper between so they do not stick together. You can pan fry or deep fry them until deep golden brown.

These are simple fast and delicious, plus by using rice instead of the usual glass noodles the are much more filling. That is awesome when you have hungry kids.

If you family is not into seafood skip the crab and fish sauce, instead try tofu, pork or chicken. If you want less filling and more traditional egg rolls the replace rice with more cabbage or glass noodles.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...